Guns can be a very sensitive topic, but there’s one thing for sure: Storing them safely is incredibly important. Especially, if you have children at home.
However, there are a number of things you can do to help ensure your firearms are kept safe if you have kids around.
- Always store guns in a locked location, unloaded, out of reach and sight of children.
- Always store ammunition in a separate locked location, out of the reach of children.
- Keep the keys and combinations hidden.
- When a gun is not in its lock box, keep it in your line of sight.
- Make sure all guns are equipped with effective, child-resistant gun locks.
- Leaving guns on a nightstand, table, or other place where a child can gain access may lead to injuries and fatalities.
- Explain to your children how a gun that they may see on television or a video game is different from a gun in real life.
- Teach your children to never touch a gun and immediately tell an adult if they see one.
- Talk your children about gun safety.
Having guns in your home can present insurance risks in terms liability coverage and value of firearms themselves. Always check with your independent insurance to see how owning guns might effect our homeowners or renters insurance, and wether an umbrella policy might be an option for additional liability protection.