It can get cold in Spokane, and winter can take its toll on your home if you do not perform the proper maintenance. Here are six steps you can take to ensure that you home in Washington stays protected.
1. Drain your exterior spigot- Winter can cause pipes connected to your exterior spigot to burst. Make sure there is no water left in the spigot when freezing weather hits.
2. Insulate your pipes- Pipes should not run through exterior walls, but they might. Make sure the pipes are insulated to prevent freezing. You can also leave a small trickle of water by turning your sink on to keep water moving.
3.Use weather stripping outside doors- Use caulk or expanding foam to keep cold air out of your home.
4. Clear drains and gutters of debris- If there is a heavy snow and your gutters are clogged, the water is bound to end up in your home or at least break your gutters.
5. Maintain your furnace- If it has been a year or two since you have had your furnace looked at by a heating and cooling specialist, get it looked at. Remember to always change your air filters as well.
6. Cover outdoor furniture- Cover your grill, chairs, and any other outdoor furniture. The snow will damage wood and cause metal to rust, so protect it as best you can.
7. Inspect your chimney- Soot can build up in your chimney over time, which will eventually clog your chimney if left alone. Have a professional inspect your chimney once a year.
If you are looking for homeowners insurance in Spokane, Washington, contact Accurate Insurance Inc. today to see how their expertise can help you find the plan that fits your needs.