Overloaded electrical outlets cause about 5300 fires every year, and over 35 percent of those fires occur during the holiday season. This year, don’t have your Christmas ruined by a preventable house fire. Use these three tips to have an electrically safe holiday season.
1. Use extension cords properly.
Extension cords are very helpful during the holiday season, but you need to use them wisely. Examine your cords before using them, and don’t use a cord that is damaged or cracked. Additionally, you should only use heavy-weight, outdoor cords for outdoor applications like external Christmas lights and decorations. Don’t cover an extension cord with a rug, even if it is unattractive. This can lead to overheating and possibly a fire. If you have extension cords outside, pay attention if you have snow or rain. If the cord is sitting in a puddle, it could cause electrocution.
2. Don’t overload outlets.
Of course, you probably have a circuit breaker or fuse box to help regulate electrical flow in the house, but if they are not working properly, you could still have a fire. Just to stay safe, you should minimize the number of devices that are plugged into outlets.
3. Double Check Your Home’s Electrical System.
If you have an older home or you are experiencing lots of power surges or blown fuses, you should probably have the electrical system checked by a licensed electrician. Electricians can replace any older electrical outlets or update any circuits that are getting worn. Paying an electrician is much cheaper than dealing with a house fire.
We here at Accurate Insurance Inc. want to wish all of our clients a happy and safe holiday season. If you need more information about homeowners insurance in the Spokane, Washington area, please contact Accurate Insurance Inc. today.