One of the best parts of having a pet is seeing how excited they are every time you come home. However, renting with pets can be much more difficult than expected. Keep these tips in mind to ensure you find the perfect rental property for you and your furry friend.
- Take your time. Many properties do not allow pets, so make sure to be patient and give yourself plenty of time to look for the right property.
- Visit the property. Make sure to walk around the property to ensure that it has the right accommodations for you and your pet. Talk to residents who have pets and ask them about their experience there.
- Promote yourself and your pet. Provide your possible landlord with documents from your vet showing that your pet is up to date on all vaccines and is spayed or neutered. A certificate from completing a training class can also be helpful.
- Check out the unit. Make sure to walk through the actual unit to see if there is enough space, and that the walls have enough soundproofing to keep your pet from getting anxious from hearing outside noises.
- Get it in writing. Make sure it is written into the lease agreement that you are allowed to keep a pet.
It is also important to make sure you have the right renter’s insurance to protect you from any incident involving your pet. Contact Accurate Insurance, Inc. for all of your renter’s insurance needs.