As winter approaches, homeowners will want to take steps to make sure that they are doing what’s necessary to winterize their home. We’d like to point out 10 ways to winterize your house:
1. Check your heating system. Arrange for a service call and have the technician make any needed repairs.
2. Perform a roof inspection. Storms during the summer may have damaged the roof, so you should fix it before winter weather grows severe.
3. Fill window and door gaps with caulk or weather-stripping to keep cold air out and hot air inside your home.
4. Put in extra insulation in your home’s attic. The minimum recommended amount is 12 inches
5. Inspect and clean out your home’s central heating air ducts. Dirty ducts reduce the furnace’s efficiency.
6. Put in storm windows now to provide additional warmth and protection for your home against the elements.
7. Before it gets too cold, make sure to have your chimney inspected and cleaned, so it will be in good shape for keeping the home fires burning.
8. Wrap up your pipes with fiberglass insulation to keep them from freezing when the temperature drops.
9. Check the function of all your smoke detectors, and change the batteries to ensure reliable operations through the season.
10. Shut off the faucets on the outside of your home. Disconnect any hoses to keep them from being damaged.
The professionally trained experts at Accurate Insurance Inc. are focused on assisting clients with all their homeowners insurance needs in the greater Spokane, Washington area and beyond. For details on how we can provide you with excellent insurance coverage, please feel free to contact the experts at Accurate Insurance Inc. today.